Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Tuesday book finds


At the last minute yesterday (by book hunting standards - as many book hunting nooks and crannies close at 4:59 pm sharp) I jumped in my book hunting jalopy and went over to a regular haunt.
I clamored over to the bookshelves in the far corner. The first thing that caught my eye was a funny booklet, Is Satan Real? A two lesson presentation telling who Satan is and how to defeat him. Everyone needs this book in their collection and I was certainly no exception. I was hoping to find a way to keep Satan at bay when I was cruising thrift stores. This book will help me no doubt. Just look at the cover of this - guaranteed to scare the crap out of little kids. There's a sword held at the kid's neck, for crying out loud! Satan, put that sword away!

Grasping my great find, courtesy of Satan, in my left arm, I bent down scanning through the books. The same books that I saw a few days ago at this location were staring at me again: Danielle Steele, Nora Roberts, What to Expect When You're Expecting, The DaVinci Code - the usual cringe inducing, popular writers and titles. On the top shelf, I spotted a brown book that resembled a high school yearbook from the 1950's. I was half right. It was from the 1950's - 1957 to be exact, and had a cover with a raised picture of a girl and boy gazing up fondly at their mother, who was wisely holding an open book. A high school yearbook it wasn't. The book was The Young Mothers Study Club.


I flipped through the pages and saw plenty of great illustrations, some very funny - like these:




















which can only lead us to....













Miltown - the miracle 1950's drug that due to its tranquilizing effect kept many a weary overworked mother from beating her kids into godly submission.
But I digress. (And might I interject here that I added the text to the picture of the distressed mother). For heaven's sake, get that woman a Miltown!

Score! Filled with hilarious, typical 50's illustrations of frustrated mothers, pissy children and the occasional question posed to Daddy such as, "Why do you plant seeds, Daddy?" Certainly a must have among 50's clipart and illustration collectors. And yours for apparently only $34.99 on Amazon. Over at ABE, 5 copies are available with the cheapest being a little less than 6 clams.
I doubt there's a high demand for this book, but if you find one, grab it. It will keep you giggling for hours.
I'll keep mine for nostalgia's sake.

No comments:

Post a Comment